.ll licensed and medically endorsed marijuana retail stores (PDF) are required to have a certified medical marijuana consultant on staff to work with patients. The certified consultant isn’t a medical provider and can do only the following for customers within a medically endorsed marijuana retail store:
- Enter patient and designated provider information from the authorization form into the medical marijuana database and create the medical marijuana recognition card.
- Assist the patient with selecting products.
- Describe risks and benefits of methods for using products.
- Give advice on ways to properly store products and keep them safe from children and pets.
- Show how to properly use products.
- Answer questions about the medical marijuana law.
Services not allowed by consultants:
- May not provide medical advice.
- May not diagnose any conditions.
- May not recommend changing current treatment(s) in place of marijuana.
- May not open and use actual products when demonstrating how to use.
To qualify for certification as a medical marijuana consultant you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older, as required under WAC 246-72-020.
- Complete a department-approved 20-hour training program (PDF) and provide proof of completion.
- Complete cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training. Because this isn’t required to be covered in the 20-hour training, it can be taken any time prior to applying for certification.
- Print out, complete and submit by mail or in-person the Medical Marijuana Consultant Certification application, with all requested documentation, an original signature, date, and fee.