Where to get started on your California cannabis cultivation water approval

cannabis cultivation water rights approval California

The State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) has adopted requirements for commercial and personal medical use cannabis cultivation to reduce impacts from discharges of waste and water diversions. The State Water Board Cannabis Cultivation Regulatory Programs are now in effect and cannabis cultivators should apply online for the necessary water quality and water right permits.

Do you cultivate cannabis? Do you divert surface water to irrigate your cannabis cultivation? If the answer to either of these questions is “yes” or “I plan to,” read on!

  • The Cannabis Cultivation Policy includes requirements to reduce impacts from discharges of waste and water diversions associated with cannabis cultivation activities. The Policy is available at the Water Board’s Cannabis Cultivation web page: http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/cannabis/
  • Cannabis cultivators must obtain coverage or waiver under one or both State Water Board cannabis cultivation regulatory programs.
  • The Cannabis Small Irrigation Use Registration Program is an expedited way to obtain a water right for cannabis cultivation activities. Many cultivators will need to obtain a Small Irrigation Use Registration by April 1, 2018.
  • Most cultivators that have submitted Initial Statements of Diversion and Use or other water right forms to the State Water Board still need to file for a Small Irrigation Use Registration.
  • The Cannabis Cultivation Policy and associated regulatory programs do not apply to recreational cannabis cultivators with six (6) plants or less.

Click the Link to Apply Online for Your State Water Board Water Quality permit and to obtain a Water Right for Cannabis Cultivation:

Cannabis Regulatory Program Portal

For more information, visit these pages:

Contact Information:

  • Water Quality Permits – Cannabis General Order – (916)-341-5580 or email [email protected]
  • Water Rights – Cannabis Small Irrigation Use Registrations – (916)-319-9427 or email Cannabi[email protected]
By |2018-02-15T18:07:48+00:00February 8th, 2018|- California, Application & Licensing, Education, RMMCnewsfeed|0 Comments